fbpx

Don't worry, we speak : Español (Spanish), too!

Adventures await travelers with Mexican startup, Rutopía, and Airbnb

Don't worry, we speak : Español (Spanish), too!

Contxto – For those of you working on your New Year’s resolutions and want to travel more, have I got some news for you! Airbnb is teaming up with Mexican travel startup, Rutopía. As a result, travelers are in for a real treat.

Pulque-tasting, volcano-climbing, and jungle-exploring are some of the adventures that await those intrepid travelers in Mexico.

Rutopía, wanderlust meets social responsibility

Fearsome foursome Emiliano Iturriaga, Sebastián Muñoz, Diego Espinoza, and Leslie Pérez founded Rutopía in 2017. The startup offers travelers the arrangement of immersive, eco-friendly experiences in Mexico. Particularly among its unique rural and indigenous communities. All of which is possible through its platform. 

Thanks to this recent partnership, anyone heading to the southern states of Chiapas, Oaxaca, and Campeche can look forward to socially-responsible experiences on Airbnb’s app.

Likewise, wanderers do a good deed by embarking on these adventures as 80 percent of proceeds will go to the indigenous communities who host the activity. Meanwhile, Rutopía takes the remaining 20 percent to cover operational expenses and further expand its network of rural communities.

Naturally, Rutopía accomplished the organization of these activities.

So much to do, so little time

We’ve summarized these tasks so you can consider them for your future travel plans:

  • Journey to the top of the Tacaná: a guide will take you through the jungle in Chiapas to reach the summit of the Tacaná, an active volcano on the edge of Mexico’s border with Guatemala.
  • Enjoy real Mexican coffee: have a cup of joe on the lakeside of the Tziscao in Chiapas. When you’re done savoring this elixir of the gods, go kayaking, swimming or fishing.
  • Taste the pulque: Mexico isn’t just tequila! Pulque is a traditional fermented drink dating back to the pre-Colombian era. Participate in every phase of its production alongside a Mixtec community.
  • Make your own handcrafts: let the dexterity, skill, and eye for detail of the indigenous communities’ handicrafts amaze you! Then join the artisans and make your own creations at the Biosphere Reserve of Calakmul.
  • Journey to the top of the Tacaná: a guide will take you through the jungle in Chiapas to reach the summit of the Tacaná, an active volcano on the edge of Mexico’s border with Guatemala.
  • Enjoy real Mexican coffee: have a cup of joe on the lakeside of the Tziscao in Chiapas. When you’re done savoring this elixir of the gods, go kayaking, swimming or fishing.
  • Taste the pulque: Mexico isn’t just tequila! Pulque is a traditional fermented drink dating back to the pre-Colombian era. Participate in every phase of its production alongside a Mixtec community.
  • Make your own handcrafts: let the dexterity, skill, and eye for detail of the indigenous communities’ handicrafts amaze you! Then join the artisans and make your own creations at the Biosphere Reserve of Calakmul.
  • Follow the river: explore the forest reserve of El Triunfo. As you travel, observe where the river begins and learn about how it shapes the lives of neighboring communities.

What’s more, the socially-responsible offerings of Rutopía haven’t gone unnoticed.

Former US President Bill Clinton awarded Rutopía the Hult Prize worth US$1 million in September this year. 

Related article: Mexican Rutopía earns the Hult Prize 2019 for its eco-tourism model

-ML

Mariana López
My topic darlings are startup management, edtech, and all-things pop culture. J Balvin is Latin America's best reggaetonero and I dare you to convince me otherwise.

People Are Reading!